There are several benefits to using a dog run. They are as follows:
- Allows you to keep your dog away from objects that s/he may destroy or hurt her/himself on while you are away.
- Gives him or her a cement surface to go potty on, making it easy to clean and therefore keeping brown spots from ruining your beautifully manicured lawn.
- Gives your dog a cement surface to stay on during the day preventing him or her from getting muddy or dirty, thereby making it more enjoyable to allow him or her to live in the house.
- Gives you peace of mind knowing that he or she has not escaped or been stolen out of your backyard.
- Allows your gardeners, pool man, gasman, or construction workers access to your yard without you having to worry if they secured the gate properly before leaving the yard.
- Allows you to separate your dog from guests or children when having a party, etc.
So, during the day while you are gone, you may want to use your dog run. While you are home of sleeping, you may want to use the dog crate. You are not forced to use these. They are just suggestions that have been successful for many dog owners.